Monday 9 November 2015

Brace Yourself


Growing up I always had a big gap in my front teeth. I didn't mind this so much as my Dad used to say it meant I was a good singer. Unfortunately this is not true but it made me feel a bit more Madonna-esque and so I never really felt I wanted to get rid of it. I  it, it was part of me. As the y
ears went by however the gap began to close, more teeth coming through and wisdom teeth crowding my mouth meant I lost my gap for good. As the gap closed I felt a little bit of my identity disappeared with it. I know that sounds a little melodramatic but its the little things that make us unique and one of my little things was now gone. As more time passed I noticed that my once naturally straight teeth were beginning to crowd each other slightly, both top and bottom. Not noticeably at first, but since the birth of my babies they have become more and more crooked. I'm no expert but I'm assuming this has been caused by stress and night-time teeth grinding with the worry of bringing up two young girls! I suppose I've been lucky, I've had straight teeth right up until now so I've never even really had to think about having braces. Although when my sister and brother got them growing up I was a tad jealous, ridiculous isn't it? I also wanted glasses, but oh no I've been blessed with 20/20 vision as well! Joking aside I could never really justify getting braces for my now slightly crooked front teeth, I mean braces are expensive, they also can take up a lot of time in your life, regular orthodontic check ups etc. and so I resigned myself to the fact that I would always have just a slightly crooked smile. Which I'm happy with, really I don't mind at all...but wait whats this, the answer to all my prayers. Yes. At home braces!! My quest for straighter brighter teeth may just be possible (I know I said I was happy with crooked teeth but who am I kidding I want a bright white Essex smile as much as anyone else does!). Then I heard of YourSmileDirect.ie. They are an Irish owned cosmetic Dentistry company who launched in the UK recently with amazing results. They have now rolled out their services in Ireland and lucky old me gets to try them out. They offer straighter, whiter Hollywood-worthy teeth for up to 75% less than other practices without compromising on quality or care. Basically by cutting out the middle man (sort of, read their t&c's) you cut down on cost. The service they offer are at home braces and teeth whitening. Once you log onto their website and go through their consultation forms an impression kit is sent directly to your home. This comes with full instructions. Once you've taken your own impressions you call the company and they'll come pick them up and send them off to the lab. So simple and easy, I didn't even need to go to the post office for a stamp! A team will then assess the impressions to make sure you're a suitable candidate for their braces and so the process begins. Luckily I suit the profile and am now currently waiting on my brace to be sent back to me. The brace itself is similar to a gum guard but much thinner and fits snugly. It is changed very 3/4 weeks as the teeth move and usually worn for 4-6 months depending on how much correcting needs to be done to the teeth. I'm excited to get started and will post again each month with picture updates too. I may not get my gap back but a straighter brighter smile will always makes you feel more confident and en Vogue ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment