Friday 13 November 2015

The not so Intrepid Traveller


For once I’m praying my little girls wake up a little early this morning? “Em, Why would you want that?” You may ask. Well it’s my very first time to leave them for more than one night and I want to kiss their little faces before I head off to the airport. I know you’d think I’d be thrilled to be heading off for three whole nights without the kids and husband. Maybe by the end of the trip I’ll be hankering for just one more night away, but as I sit here writing this I can honestly say, I think I’d prefer to be in music class with my kids, something we do every Friday morning. It’s usually my husband who is up at the craic of dawn, fumbling about in the dark trying to finish packing as he heads off on yet another business trip and so to say it felt a little alien for me to be the one doing the fumbling this morning is a little bit of an understatement. Bleary eyed I stumbled to the bathroom, washed my face and brushed my teeth. Applied my makeup (in 2 minutes, it’ll never last!) and quickly got dressed. Still no sign of the kids stirring…this never happens! So I fumbled about some more, louder though this time and accidentally on purpose woke the kids. Little feet padded across the hall floor and sleepy eyed princesses entered the room. “Are you still here mama?” “I am so give me as many kisses and cuddles as you can now, cause I’m gonna miss that face!” Wet kisses and neck strangling hugs later my taxi arrives and I’m off. What now, I feel a little lighter physically (no nappy bags leaving the house will do that to ya) but a little heavier in the heart. Not having the nappy wearer with you will do that to yaL. Anyway, departure gates call, coffee and magazine in hand and you know something I’m beginning to feel a little, dare I say, excited?! Guilty, but excited. Guilty because I’m an Irish mother and I think it comes with the title of being a mammy. Guilty because I feel a little self-indulgent to just head off to Spain for three days by myself (to a friend btw).  But excited, because it’s something I think I should do, something my husband thinks will be good for me. Find a little bit of the old me again, regain some of my lost confidence which inevitably happens when you become a mam and have been out of the work place for over three years. Not long to landing and I’m going to give myself over to the experience, as a good friend said to me “Mammy guilt is completely normal, just leave it at the airport!” So here goes, page one of a magazine I’m going to read cover to cover cause I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment