Wednesday 24 February 2016

Know the Skin You're In, Step 1: A 'How To' guide to becoming your own MUA

Being a makeup artist I assume people know a lot more about makeup than they really do. It was only when a friend of mine came to me recently and asked if I could advise her on what type of makeup she should be using did it occur to me that if someone I consider pretty "well up" on fashion and beauty needs advice from me them maybe others do too. So I've decided that my next few posts should be about makeup, how to choose it and getting the basics right with application. It's easy really to go to any makeup counter and be advised about the correct foundation for your skin type, tone etc. Every counter girl worth her salt should be able to do this correctly but not everyone knows what to do with the makeup once they get home. Sooo many people are paying money on a weekly basis to get their makeup done by a professional (like myself) when really with a little practice they could master it themselves saving that few quid for something else, like a bottle of bubbly to get ready with!

So here it goes, get the basics right and the rest will follow, trust me I'm an MUA (lol!)

Identify your skin type 
This could be considered the easy part if you go to a makeup counter to get your skin assessed. Ask the right questions and you'll come away with a wealth of knowledge you didn't even know about yourself even though it was looking you right in the face.

What skin type am I?
Oily - Is you skin shiny, thick with a firm appearance? Do you have enlarged pores?
Dry - Is your skin fine, thin and delicate? Is it easily aggravated by environmental factors such as sun, wind or chemicals?
Normal - Does your skin look soft with a healthy glow? Is it plump and dewy with minimal pores?
Combination - Is your skin any two of the above combined?

What condition is your skin in?
Is it dehydrated, mature/ageing/sensitive?

What is your skin tone?
Do you have a warm or yellow undertone to your skin? Check the veins on your wrist, if they have a green hue then you most likely have a warm undertone to your skin.
Do you have a cool or pink undertone to you skin? Again check the veins on your wrist if they are blue then you most likely have a cool undertone.
Are you neutral? Many Irish people have a cool undertone but there are a few like myself who have a neutral undertone. They are neither pale with pinkish undertones or darker with yellowish undertones.   I have both pink and yellow undertones to my skin (obviously ignoring any pink in my cheeks) and depending on the time of the year. Saying that, the best place to check your skins colour is your neck, it probably is the best reflection of your true skin tone, once its not covered in fake tan.

Once you have either answered all of these questions yourself or been advised by a someone who knows what they are talking about you are ready to buy your foundation and primer.

Seems like a lot of work doesn't it? but really it's worth getting it right, you'll at least be able to make an informed decision when buying  your makeup, whether it's from the advice of a counter girl or you're picking some up yourself from the local pharmacy or supermarket.

Tools of the trade
While using your fingers is ok to apply your foundation often I find it doesn't really do your makeup any justice. It tends to slip off more easily probably from the excess oil from your hands and you end up re-applying it mid day. 
Depending on your own preference there are a few choices here. At the moment I am loving using my beauty blender, which is like a little egg shaped sponge which you wet then squeeze dry before applying your foundation. It gives a really even application and because of the pointed tip of the egg shape you can really get into the little nooks and cranes of your face to blend perfectly.
Other options are flat brushes or more rounded densely packed brushes. Both are great. If I had to choose it would be a densely packed rounded (Kabuki type) brush as I sometimes find the flat brushes feel too  much like a paint brush and leave foundation streaks on your face which are harder to blend in. Anyway I'll do another post about my favourite brushes again, this is just to get you started on the basics.

So go get some advice, pick up that new primer and foundation and I'll post up a "How to.." apply your primer and foundation, getting the best out of your product.

If you have any questions, comment below or follow me on my Facebook page: Kelliebbeautiful...till tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment