Saturday 13 February 2016

Is the new Barbie really representative of real life beauty?



I’m not so sure but I think it's definitely a step in the right direction. Mattel, Barbie creators have launched three new Barbie shapes which are meant to reflect a broader view of beauty. The unrealistic dimensions of the original Barbie have be replaced with a taller one, a petite sized doll and a curvy one. There are also 25 new hair style to choose from, from afro to long blue locks and 7 different skin tones. A big change up from the stick thin 18 inch waist 36 bust swan necked original. As a mother of two Barbie loving girls I have definitely welcomed this change and I’m hoping that my girls will embrace the new dolls, notice the changes and hopefully from there begin to understand that there is beauty in everyone. 
Our children learn through play, it is the most fundamental learning tool our children have. I’m hoping that by playing with a more diverse range of their favourite doll a dialog can be started about the differences between people, their looks their opinions their personalities. At the moment my children are still very young. They may not even notice the differences between people yet. Although I do know that they want to be liked and accepted by their peers. Already my three year old has asked questions about making friends. Wanting to know why such and such will not play with her in her play group or why little xxx always wants to play with her even if she doesn’t. Its heartbreaking to see your child being rejected by another child but it’s life. We’ve all been though it. I’ve tried time and time again to explain to her that she doesn't need to be everyones friend, that sometimes people are different and may not want to play with her. I want her to understand that its ok to be yourself and if someone doesn't want to spend time with her that that’s ok too, there are plenty of other people out there who would love to be her friend. 
As a mother I worry all the time about societies perception of women and beauty. Although my blog may be titled kelliebbeautiful, and the beauty industry is a place I’ve centred myself, I want my girls to learn that beauty is something that comes from within. A beautiful heart, soul and mind is more powerful than a beautiful face. Education, emotional intelligence and integrity will guide them through their lives, open doors for them and allow them to be the women they want to be. While appearance is important it should never be your raison d’être.


So kudos to Mattel for their new Barbie range, a little late in the game perhaps but welcomed, especially to a mother like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment