Monday 7 March 2016

Neutral Eyeshadow Palettes worth a mention


A modern day makeup bag staple has to be a neutral eyeshadow palette. But which one? There are so many to choose from often it's hard to tell the good from the bad. And if like me you're a bit of a magpie you'll be drawn to the ones with a bit of sparkle. Be warned! When choosing a neutral palette the more matte shadows the better. Leave the shimmer and glitter for another day.

I've listed four of my favourite nude palettes below.

Bobbi Brown Limited Edition Greige Eye Palette
Ok so I know I just said that for a really workable nude palette you should stay clear of anything with shimmer. Let me maybe backtrack a bit. This palette is literally the only palette you will need if you are a brown nude to smokey eye girl like myself. It has 8 shades ranging from a really workable cream matte shadow, subtle taupe and grey slate. The texture is creamy-smooth with excellent colour pay off. Layer up your day time nude eye with a little sparkle to take you through to the evening. It is slightly on the expensive side coming in around €50-60. But it will last, the pay off is amazing and you will not need to invest in a separate palette for a more dramatic smokey eye, so you're really saving money in the long run.
Rating: 7/10 (For the price a few more shadows would be nice)

Maybelline The Nudes Palette
This is a 12 pan palette with pretty much every shade you will need. It ranges from warm beiges to cool taupes with everything in-between and of course includes the essential black. For a budget buy I've been pretty pleased with this palette. The versatility and range of the shadows covers all skin tones so is pretty much a crowd pleaser in that respect. The payoff however lets it down a little. For a more intense colour you will need to layer the shadow once or twice. A good eyeshadow primer may be the trick to longevity here. I like this palette but don't love it, but will definitely be keeping it in my kit as a 'just in case'.
Rating: 6/10 (Payoff just isn't on point)

Clarins The Essential Eyeshadow Palette
This mid-priced 10 shadow palette is a bit like baby bear, just right ;). When I first got this palette I was a little hesitant, again there were shimmers included and so I just thought that it wouldn't really work as an everyday neutral palette. How wrong I was! The colours are rich and not over shimmery, blend beautifully and the payoff is spot on. I love that there are mauve tones include in the palette too. Often most neutral palettes stick to the earthy brown tones. While the colours are earthy they have gorgeous warm undertones really adding depth of colour to your eye. The brush that is provided is actually great too unlike most sponge applicators that are included in a lot of sets. I've kept this one as part of my kit I like it so much. My only gripe I have with this palette is the packaging. It looks cheap, and is slightly clunky a shame since Clarins packaging is usually sleek and minimal.
Rating: 8/10 (Ugly packaging and a little big to tote around)


Ellie Goulding Halcyon Nights MAC
Effortless by day, bombshell by night - or so MAC have described Ellie Gouldings signature look and have recreated it in a collaboration with the pop princess. AND I AM SOLD! I know this is all about neutral palettes but this is one I go to on a daily basis and so it definitely deserves a mention if the reason for reviewing these palettes is to find something that will work for everyone everyday. Firstly a little nod to the packaging. It's quite cult like, the icon reminds me of something from the illuminati, very cool. There are four deeply pigmented velvety shadows with a pull out cream colour base in a little compartment underneath and a neat little mirror for touch ups. The one I've featured is Halcyon Nights. The warm burnt orange colours look amazing either just swept along the lid for a daytime look or layered together for a statement colour pop. The cream shimmer shade is unbelievable when placed in the inner corner too to brighten and open up your eye. Basically this is a palette I keep in my personal stash I love it so much, it's definitely worth a try and will look even more amazing on sun kissed skin once the summer comes in. I live in hope.
Rating: 9/10 (A little pricey)





No comments:

Post a Comment